American Red Cross in Madison County

"A couple was displaced from their home in Somerford Township as the result of a fire on the evening of April 15th triggered by a malfunctioning refrigerator.
The alarm came in to London Fire Department at 9:20 p.m. with a report of smoke in the kitchen at a home on Potee Road.
Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke ascending from the kitchen of the house.
All occupants safely evacuated.
The fire, which spread to the ceiling and attic of the house, was brought under control by 9:55 p.m. said Todd Eades, London fire chief. In bringing the fire under control, firefighters had to cut holes in the roof and side of the structure.
Preliminary report indicates the cause of the fire was a malfunctioning refrigerator.
Chief Brian Bennington, of the Central Townships Joint Fire District, noted the residence had no working smoke detectors.
“It could have been worse if it were later at night,” Bennington said.
The house was rendered unoccupiable by the fire. The couple is receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.
Local Red Cross volunteers were dispatched to the scene of the fire and provided assistance to the residents, including shelter, food, and clothing.
The Red Cross is also working to address the issue of smoke alarms in area homes. Since 7/1/2014, the Red Cross in Clark, Madison, and Champaign counties has visited 435 households, installed 953 alarms, replaced 75 batteries in otherwise working alarms, and assisted 976 individuals through the Home Fire Preparedness Campaign. The goal of this effort is to reduce injuries and fatalities that result from homes fires by 25% by 2020."

Newsletter Sign Up